Thursday, February 9, 2012

Tin Soldiers and Nixon Coming

I suppose I just like to title these blog posts according to what I think might catch someone's eye.  There is no relevance what-so-ever, but I just had the song stuck in my head the last 20 min or so...

Today, I'll write about my time at Rae's on Wategos.  Today was my last day, and incidentally my first day in over 2 weeks!  There hasn't been anyone staying in the hotel recently, so staffing levels have been on the decline; something I can relate to from season's end and beginning managing a golf operation.  With Dave to arrive on Saturday and holidaying for 10 days or so, I thought it would be silly to stay on.  Especially since I'm planning on exploring culture outside of Byron when Dave makes his way back to The States. 

This is Dave Weingarten in all of his glory!  This picture was taken at Rock Bottom last year when we slept on Fountain Square over night to get our Opening Day tix.  I think the hilarity of the night was enough for Dave to take a lil care of me last year when I was in a wheelchair on that freezing night.  Dave will do just about anything sometimes to be active.  Sometimes these are known as "Davetivities."  This guy is all about extreme adventure; so I'm looking forward to rocking out and maybe helping Ol' Davey meet a few Aussie chicas!

 The next few pics are of Room 5 at Rae's.  They all have "people names" since there are only 7 rooms.  But I only know the room #'s.
Here is the entrance, which is just off the pool, no beach view here, but it's a 2 story room and very unique.
 Smaller bathroom, surrounded with mirror, glass and tile... LOTS to wipe down! (yes, that's a rain shower)

 Above are the views down to the pool.  The picture on the right is the view I had when Elle Macpherson was laying out by the pool one day.  Still good lookin' after all these years. 
View from the stairs in room #5; those doors go out to the pool.


 Room 6, on the first floor and the worst of all of the rooms.  It's very nice, but no view and just bedroom and larger bathroom. (yes, I rolled those towels on the bed)

 



 This is smallest room, Room 3.  Although the smallest, it has a beach view and is actually quite charming!  This bed is definitaly a toughy to make; the matress is too big for the bed.
 Usually these open shutters look out to Wategos Beach.

 This is the gigantic Room 2.  There are two bedrooms in this $1,200/night suite.  This one takes super long to clean being as it's so big. 
 Also...

This room attracts families and messy rich people. 
Above left, the usual setup of soaps, towels, etc.  Above Right, one of my favorite beds to make.




Room 1... The largest single bedroom room.  This has a pool view and a beach view, two verandas, dinette, hot tub and lots of space.




 The usual setup for coffees, teas, wine glasses, etc.


I know it's just a lot of pictures this go around.  Next time I'll highlight the trip to White's Beach with some other Factory goers.

So I've been a hotel cleaner, a night helper and a garbage man here in OZ... My mother kindly reminded me of the old BS addage...

Bob Simminger "If you're going to be a garbage man, be the best damned garbage man there is."
(that got me through a few days)  It wasn't the work as a garbage man that was crap, it was that you're doing the work all alone and there aren't any customers/guests to take care of!  Night helper at reception is much better since I get to talk to all kinds of new people coming to The Arts Factory as well as all my friends here are all around to hang while I'm at reception working.


Surfed at "The Pass" the other day... and a lil beard update!

Alrighty, enough for this time.  So in the words of Marty Brenneman... "So long everybody"

1 comment:

  1. Ok, this time Mom speaks out.
    First, OMG you are so going to be abe (ably) to clean our house after you have been professionally trained to clean a beautiful hotel like this. For some reason....hmm...you chose to withhold these pictures. Interesting.
    Second, hey! Elle is fabulous and looks the same as twenty years ago. Sorry about the smoking thing. See what a disappointment that can be?
    Third, love the more trimmed look on the "red beard". But certainly cannot deny those Scottish roots.
    Fourth, rumpke looks forward to your return. :).

    ReplyDelete