Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Cincinnati to Byron Bay in "2 days"

Hello, from Byron Bay!
I suppose I should start from the beginning of this trip, which could be around 1pm Monday the 5th.  I was basically packed and ready to go, just kind of wrapping up the details and making sure I wasn't forgetting anything.  (you'll always forget something)  Of course, Big Bob was running through his own checklist of things to remember when going out of town as well.  They were leaving on Tuesday for Hawaii and were also in "mode" for leaving on an extended trip.  Yes, I was stressing quite a bit; only because I had someone talking at me from every direction.  Don't get me wrong, I was more than appreciative of all of the help received from the folks.  I successfully packed up a majority of my T-shirts, shorts and socks/underwear.  Not so much on the nicer "going out" clothes, as JFlinn informed me it'd be rare to wear such attire.  I did however, wear my brown corduroy sport coat on the plane and during the trip.  It was the only one I brought and I'm sure I won't wear it much, but c'mon I've gotta have at least one of the beautiful six in my closet!
After a long delay for over-fueling the plane, we finally took off for LAX from CVG about an hour and half late.  "It was a good thing you have a five hour layover" said Big Bob.  Agreed, so one 4 hour flight down and now a 14 hour flight to go.  LAX was good while I was there, I had a pretty good customer service moment at the currency exchange that is worth mentioning.  Arriving in the international terminal 3, I decided to just go ahead and exchange my cash in LA since JFlinn had mentioned there would be a substantial surcharge in Brisbane.  The surcharge in LA was only $5.50 or so.  After a little small talk with the gentlemen behind the bullet-proof glass, I had asked if he would do me a favor.  I had two Delta Drink Vouchers left from my flight, since the flight attendant on the CVG-LAX flight had only made me use one for my order of cocktails.  I gave him both the vouchers and asked if he would pass them to someone making a Delta connection, preferably someone around our age who wouldn't normally get the benefit of a drink back in coach.  He said that wouldn't be a problem, and that he appreciated my generosity in giving him the opportunity to give someone else a good customer service "moment of truth".  He offered to strike my surcharge and just gave me the currency exchange to AUD dollars for free.  Isn't that how the world is supposed to work?  Of course I took his information down and plan on writing an email to his company/supervisor stating my pleasant experience.
Anyway, I boarded the VAustralia 777 for the 14hr stint.  Upon boarding, I was quite impressed with the design inside the plane and decently comfortable seating.  It just so happened that I was seated in the same aisle with a gentlemen that I had stood in line with and chatted up, his name was Daniel and he was probably in his late 20's.  Great to have someone in my age bracket to quip back and forth with during the long flight.  Turned out that for the 2nd flight in a row, I had an open middle seat!  What luck!!!  Daniel was from the Gold Coast, which is about an hour north of Byron Bay.  We chatted here and there during the trip talking about various things American/Australian.  At any rate, the flight in general was phenomenal.  It honestly felt like they attempted First Class service for the commoners.  The service and atmosphere was comfortable and entertaining; besides the two crying babies who were battling for attention of course!  One of them, who had one of the biggest noggins I've ever seen felt it necessary to scream for the final 30 minutes of the flight.  While that could have made for an interesting entrance into Australia, I decided to take things into my own hands (or ears) and absolutely blast Sgt. Pepper's from beginning to end through my headphones.  (insert everlasting smile during this 40 minute album)  So that is how I entered OZ, to the soundscapes of one of the greatest albums of all time.
Arriving into BNE was fine, although once I snagged my bags off the conveyor belt it was quite the line to pass through security.  After waiting for what was only probably 30 min or so, I was able to go directly through to the exit with my luggage and duty free liquor in hand.  Bombay Sapphire & Crown Royal, both for $50USD was quite the steal when a bottle of BS only 3/4 of the size would have cost $55AUS by itself!   (Thank you Cousin Becca, your xmas visa card was well spent as my initial contribution to the Cavazzini household)
It was amazing to see how many people were waiting outside the baggage area for their friends and family.  This may have been the first time that I actually had someone waiting my arrival that wasn't just in a car outside!  JFlinn was waiting patiently with a smile and if at any point of time this trip became real, it was then.  Or maybe it was when we got in her car and the steering wheel was on the passenger's side?
After quite a bit of chitchatting on the drive to Byron, we arrived to Her and Giac's beautiful home only a 5 minute walk from town.  Giac was at the house to welcome us, and not long after we arrived we headed out to the local Green Garage for a takeaway sandwich; they also have quite the large selection of fruits and veggies in which I can only assume is locally grown! Afterwords we headed to town to check out Sundive, Giac and Julie's dive shop to take a look around and meet the team.  All of the dive guys/gals were super cool and welcoming.  My introduction as a newbie to town didn't seem unusual to anybody, as they have many visitors come through all of the time.  The next question was how long was I staying; almost as if to say, should we learn your name?  I think my undetermined timetable and hometown relation to JFlinn told them I was going to be around quite a bit.  I'm sure I'll get to know the peeps more as time goes on.
After checking in at Sundive, we headed out to the beach.  We went to "The Pass," which is where Sundive and the other local dive company launch the dive boats out into the ocean.  From there we could see many surfers and the Byron Bay Lighthouse up on the hill in the distance.  It was one of the most peaceful places and I can imagine myself going to this area of the beach many more times.  While chatting about the surfers, waves and the different nuances of the surf lifestyle I asked about one of the body boarders I saw heading out for some waves.  Then I was informed about what they say down here about the body boarders.  "What's the worst thing about being a body boarder?  Telling your mom you're gay." I guess maybe it's the same thing back home when one thinks of someone driving an automatic transmission sports car?  Either way, pretty funny...


We came home, dusted the sand off and headed out to The Rails restaurant/bar.  The outside had a Hofbrau feel to it with the rows of wooden picnic tables set up and a walk-up order area for food.  We went inside to the bar area and had a few brews with a few of Giac and Julie's friends.  Australian beer is good so far, for the few that I've had.  Nothing that peaks my interests though, as of yet.  We got home and watched the Saints/Tigers game from SNF.  They've got NFL package and tivo most of the games... AWESOME!  I made it through the 1st quarter and found myself head bobbing, so hit the hay around 9pm.  I woke up this morning around 7:45, so I'd say that's a victory!  Jet-lag was successfully slapped in the face, so thanks but no thanks all of you weak-minded individuals who can't handle your mind/body/spirit.

That's the story as of now.  peace & love

2 comments:

  1. Great post babe! So is everything in walking distance or what? Cause you only mentioned the car ride from the airport to the bay. Just curious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most everything is within walking distance. It takes maybe 5-10 minutes to walk to the closest beach and maybe 20 minutes to Main Beach. 5 minutes to closest point of "town" and 20 to the furthest. I'd compare it to living on W. Northwood on OSU's campus. 5 minutes to Fisher College of Business or 20 minutes to South Campus... Thank you OSU for appreciating a good walk!

    ReplyDelete