Friday, December 2, 2011

I digress

Well, here we are!  My first thought is that I'm sitting here writing my first "blog" while I should probably be packing for the trip of my life thus far.  Oh yea, I put blog in quotes because it's a rather odd word and I wonder who came up with it and it's meaning.  I used to write in a journal semi-frequently, but that seems frivolous since I want to share my thoughts and experiences with those who know me. Some may care about what I've got going on "down under," and some may just need another website to surf while bored at work.  Either way, I'm happy to oblige.
digress [daɪˈgrɛs]
vb (intr)
1. to depart from the main subject in speech or writing
2. to wander from one's path or main direction


1. FYI, I'm a chronic interrupter.  It's a horrible habit, but most of all I tend to interrupt myself
2. This is why I'm here today

In the case of my departure, I'll refer to the #2.  I've made the decision to go and wander for a while.  Instead of just going through daily life bitching and moaning about what will come in the future, I wanted to take at least one step towards making something happen.  I heard a very inspiring quote a few years ago while watching the film "Into the Wild."  I know, I know it was a very good book before it hit the big screen.  I'm a movie guy, so bare with me.  Anyway, the quote was "The core of man's spirit comes from new experiences."  I've always appreciated that sentiment, but haven't necessarily lived that way.  As someone from Cincinnati, Ohio it can be very easy to get in the groove.  At some point during 2011 it became apparent that I could very easily fall into the groove and find myself 10 years from now doing the same things without ever really leaving my bubble that is The Nati.  Sure, if I die tomorrow I wouldn't be disappointed with what I've done so far.  But, let's try and make my story a bit more interesting!

I want to thank everyone from work for coming out the other night to send me off.  My four years at The Mill were awesome and I feel like I've grown so much since starting there in 2008.  One of the Tee Masters said he thought they had hired Doogie Howser when he first met me.  I imagine he wasn't the only one when a fresh faced 23 year old came aboard to learn the management of 30 employees. (team members)  I know that I left with tons more experience, and hopefully a bit more maturity as well!
photo.JPG
What a great "cupcake cake" made by one of my esteemed colleagues and great friend!
I hope all of the people I've had the pleasure to have known at the HCPD realize what fun I had working with them.  I'll definitely miss chatting up my regulars on Sunday mornings and the league guys I've known well.

I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of people I haven't talked to in a while at Oak Tavern tomorrow night.  It should be a rockin' good time and ALL are welcome to attend.  Also, I promise I'll get better at this blogging thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment